Cauliflower is a versatile and nutritious vegetable that has been enjoyed for centuries, and it's no exception in Croatia. The dish Čušpajz od Karfiola (Cauliflower Casserole) is a traditional and beloved meal, often served as a comforting side dish or a main course. This recipe is the perfect way to elevate cauliflower and add a touch of luxury to your dinner table.
Cauliflower has a long history in Croatia, dating back to the Roman Empire. The ancient Romans were known to cultivate this vegetable and it quickly spread throughout Europe. In Croatia, cauliflower was traditionally grown in the coastal region, where the climate and soil were ideal for its cultivation. Today, it is widely grown throughout the country and is a staple in Croatian cuisine.
One of the reasons why cauliflower is so popular in Croatia is its versatility. It can be eaten raw, cooked, or used in a variety of dishes such as soups, stews, and casseroles. This recipe for Cauliflower Casserole is a perfect example of the delicious ways to prepare this vegetable. The dish combines tender cauliflower florets with a rich and creamy cheese sauce that is sure to please any palate.
To make this dish, you will need a head of cauliflower, heavy cream, grated cheddar cheese, garlic, butter, salt, and pepper. The recipe is easy to follow and comes together in less than an hour. The result is a comforting and satisfying casserole that is perfect for a family dinner or a cozy night in.
The dish can be served as a side dish or as a main course, it's perfect for vegetarians and meat-eaters alike, and it's a great way to get your daily dose of vegetables. You can also add some bacon bits, or some sautéed mushrooms and onions to give more flavor to the dish.
Cauliflower Casserole (Čušpajz od Karfiola)
Selo Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the cauliflower florets and cook for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan, drizzle the olive oil and melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the cream and bring to a simmer. Stir in the cheddar cheese until melted and smooth.
- Add the cooked cauliflower to the cheese sauce and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the cauliflower mixture to a casserole dish.
- Optional: Sprinkle bread crumbs or chopped nuts on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
You can also add some bacon bits, or some sautéed mushrooms and onions to give more flavor to the dish.